Can we find God’s protection from things that cause distress. The interesting thing is the cause of the distress is not always removed, but the we find relief from the panic of the experience. What?
God gives us the Word which we can apply to our life as an outlier.
Let’s keep in mind who God is:
- He is based in Love not judgement even though as a just God He calls things that are not beneficial to us and hurtful wrong then expects trust from us enough to listen and change with His help. He knows more!
- He sacrificed His most precious person/relationship for us
- He created us to be in a relationship out of love and not out of a need for domination- why there is free will
- He has a good plan for each person
- He is no respecter of person- all are equal and loves us equally
- He is all wisdom, all goodness, and all powerful
- He is on our side
- He’s got our back,
- He has provides a power source, mentoring, comfort, guidance, knowledge, counseling, peace, assurance, resources through His Holy Spirit, 24/7 absolutely free!
- He does expect us as His adopted children to be trusting and obey His leading but if we blow it He does not abandon us. He is patient and goes over it again and again until we get it
- He treats us all as individuals- how he relates to me will/may be different than others but the principles (found in Bible) remain constant and well as His character
- God wants to you to seek Him and join your life with His just as you are, no preparation necessary
YES REALLY! This is not a fairy tale or ploy to give false hope or manipulate you
The Bible gives us visual images and settings that we can understand. Of course as individuals God uses images and settings that will speak to each one of us that will give us a sense of God’s protection. What you read or hear from God’s Word will resonate with something in your own life.
For example, in Psalm 91 :1-4 ,the whole thing is awesome!
1 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand].
2 I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely,and in Him I [confidently] trust!
3 For [then] He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.
4 [Then] He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler. (Amplified version)
When I read this I had an image of a giant umbrella from the commercials for an insurance company with the red umbrella that follows you everywhere. You are always protected. Under that umbrella I think of it as God covering me. I am completely safe. I am under His care and no matter how hard someone or something tries to override His authority, it can not. He has the last move and word to work everything that happens to me for my own good as long as I am trusting Him to do so.(Romans 8:28)
The conditions are in the first two verses, I will trust in you, no matter what! He has made good on His promises. My life is not perfect, but it suits me and I really enjoy what I do! He has made it possible.
How does this apply to an outlier, how does it not!
When you feel out of sync with those around you/ misunderstood, please fall back on God’s Word rather than your limited emotions and thoughts. Hang on and trust God in the situation. Ask Him, “Hey what’s going on?”Then listen and watch, He’ll make himself known. Sometimes it takes awhile and the what, why, and how may not be what you expected but it always works out. It’s like riding a roller-coaster in the dark. It’s scary and exciting. You get off and then you want to go again! TRUST is the word to focus on.
In Mark 4:35-41.
Jesus and His disciples were crossing a lake. It had been a long day and Jesus had fallen asleep and a storm of hurricane proportions came up and water began to fill the boat which scared the disciples enough to wake Him. His response-
39 … He arose and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, Hush now! Be still (muzzled)! And the wind ceased ([sank to rest as if exhausted by its beating) and there was [immediately] a great calm (a perfect peacefulness).
40 He said to them, Why are you so timid and fearful? How is it that you have no faith (no firmly relying trust)?
41 And they were filled with great awe and feared exceedingly and said one to another, Who then is this, that even wind and sea obey Him? (AMP)
Our response to life’s storms is Trust in the love and character of God as we join our life with His. As we get to know Him then your trust and love of God grows.
How does this apply to someone with continual difficulties that won’t go away. He sometimes leaves the storm but He calms us with peace and a sense of security in His abilities. He sees us through the storm. He rides the storm out with us. He becomes our umbrella in the middle the rolling and crashing waves, horrific winds, and the filling boat that threatens our security in life.
But how does that play out in everyday life? to be continued….